Planning a trip to Budapest? One of the first things you’ll need to consider is which airport to fly into. The good news is that Budapest, the capital of Hungary, has a well-connected international airport that caters to travelers from all over the world. In this article, we’ll explore the main airport options for flying into Budapest, along with some helpful tips to make your journey smooth and hassle-free.
Ferenc Liszt International Airport
The primary airport serving Budapest is Ferenc Liszt International Airport, formerly known as Budapest Ferihegy International Airport. It is located approximately 16 kilometers southeast of the city center, making it easily accessible for travelers. The airport is Hungary’s largest and busiest, hosting numerous international airlines and handling millions of passengers each year.
Ferenc Liszt International Airport has two main terminals: Terminal 2A and Terminal 2B. Most international flights operate from Terminal 2B, while Terminal 2A is mainly used for low-cost airlines. The terminals are connected by a walkway, making it convenient for passengers to navigate between them.
Getting to Budapest from Ferenc Liszt International Airport
Once you arrive at the airport, you have several options to reach Budapest city center:
- Public Transportation: The airport offers direct bus services to various locations in Budapest, including the city center. Buses 100E and 200E are popular choices for travelers, and they operate at regular intervals.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the terminals, and they provide a convenient and comfortable way to reach your destination in Budapest. Ensure that you choose licensed taxis and agree on the fare beforehand.
- Ride-Sharing: Services like Uber and Bolt also operate in Budapest, providing an alternative to traditional taxis. These services can be booked through mobile apps.
- Shuttle Service: If you prefer a pre-arranged transfer, you can book a shuttle service. These services offer shared or private transportation options, depending on your preferences.
Other Nearby Airports
In addition to Ferenc Liszt International Airport, there are a few alternative options for flying into Budapest, although they are less commonly used.
Sármellék International Airport (Heviz-Balaton Airport)
Sármellék International Airport, also known as Heviz-Balaton Airport, is situated approximately 200 kilometers southwest of Budapest. While it is not as well-connected as Ferenc Liszt International Airport, it serves as an entry point for travelers who plan to visit the Lake Balaton region.
Vienna International Airport
Vienna International Airport is located approximately 240 kilometers west of Budapest. Although it is in a different country, it can be an option for travelers if they find more convenient flights or better deals to Vienna. From Vienna, there are frequent direct trains and buses connecting the two cities.
Choosing the Right Airport
When deciding which airport to fly into for Budapest, consider the following factors:
- Flight Availability: Check for direct flights to Ferenc Liszt International Airport as it offers the most convenient access to Budapest. If you have limited options, you may explore alternative airports.
- Cost: Compare flight fares to different airports to find the most affordable option, taking into account transportation costs from the airport to Budapest.
- Itinerary: If you plan to explore regions outside Budapest, such as Lake Balaton or Vienna, flying into alternative airports may be more convenient.
Now that you know the main airport options for flying into Budapest, it’s time to book your tickets and plan an amazing trip to this beautiful city. Safe travels!
Table of Contents