Welcome to Budapest, the vibrant capital of Hungary, known for its stunning architecture, rich history, and vibrant nightlife. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, exploring the city’s bustling bar scene is a must-do. In this guide, we will take you on a journey through the best bars in Budapest’s city centre, ensuring you have an unforgettable experience.
1. Ruin Bars
When in Budapest, you must explore its famous ruin bars. These unique establishments have gained international recognition for their quirky and artistic atmosphere. Typically located in abandoned buildings or courtyards, each ruin bar has its own distinct charm. Some of the most popular ruin bars to check out include:
- Szimpla Kert: Located in the Jewish Quarter, Szimpla Kert is the pioneer ruin bar in Budapest. Its colorful decor, live music, and vibrant crowd make it a must-visit.
- Anker’t: Situated near Deák Ferenc Square, Anker’t is known for its open-air courtyard and a diverse range of events, including concerts, art exhibitions, and film screenings.
- Fogas Ház: With multiple interconnected rooms and a spacious courtyard, Fogas Ház offers a unique party experience. Don’t miss their popular themed parties and DJ performances.
2. Rooftop Bars
If you want to take in breathtaking views of Budapest while sipping on your favorite cocktail, you must visit the city’s rooftop bars. Not only do these bars offer stunning panoramic views, but they also provide a sophisticated and elegant atmosphere. Here are some noteworthy rooftop bars:
- 360 Bar: Located near the Basilica, 360 Bar provides a 360-degree view of Budapest’s skyline. Enjoy their extensive cocktail menu and lounge music while taking in the city’s beauty.
- High Note SkyBar: Situated in the heart of the city, High Note SkyBar offers breathtaking views of the Danube River and the Parliament building. This luxurious rooftop bar is perfect for a romantic evening.
- St. Andrea Wine & Skybar: Combining stunning views with exceptional wines, St. Andrea Wine & Skybar is a must-visit for wine enthusiasts. Don’t miss their wine tastings and sommelier-led experiences.
3. Craft Beer Bars
If you’re a beer lover, Budapest has got you covered with its vibrant craft beer scene. From small breweries to specialized beer bars, the city offers a wide range of options to satisfy your taste buds. Check out these top craft beer bars:
- Jónás Craft Beer House: Offering a rotating selection of craft beers on tap, Jónás Craft Beer House is a cozy bar with a friendly atmosphere. They also serve delicious pub food to complement your beer.
- Léhűtő Craft Beer Garden: Located in the Inner City, Léhűtő Craft Beer Garden offers a wide variety of local and international craft beers. Their spacious outdoor garden is perfect for a sunny day.
- Hops Beer Bar: Situated in the vibrant Gozsdu Courtyard, Hops Beer Bar boasts an extensive beer menu with over 200 options. The knowledgeable staff will guide you through their selection, ensuring you find your perfect brew.
4. Wine Bars
Budapest is not only known for its beer culture but also for its excellent selection of wines. Whether you’re a wine connoisseur or just enjoy a good glass of vino, these wine bars are worth a visit:
- Doblo Wine Bar: Tucked away in the Jewish Quarter, Doblo Wine Bar offers an intimate setting to enjoy Hungarian and international wines. Their knowledgeable staff can assist you in finding the perfect wine to suit your taste.
- DiVino: With several locations throughout the city, DiVino is a popular choice among wine enthusiasts. Their extensive wine list includes both local and international options, ensuring there’s something for everyone.
- Drop Shop: Located near the iconic Chain Bridge, Drop Shop is a boutique wine store and bar. You can sample and purchase a wide range of Hungarian wines, making it a great spot to discover local vineyards.
5. Cocktail Bars
If you appreciate well-crafted cocktails and a stylish ambiance, Budapest’s cocktail bars won’t disappoint. Indulge in unique concoctions and innovative mixology techniques at these top-notch establishments:
- Tuk Tuk Bar: Situated in the lively Gozsdu Courtyard, Tuk Tuk Bar specializes in Asian-inspired cocktails. Their skilled bartenders put on a show while preparing your drinks, adding to the overall experience.
- Boutiq’Bar: Located near the bustling Váci Street, Boutiq’Bar is renowned for its creative cocktail menu. You can even request a personalized cocktail based on your preferences.
- Blue Fox The Bar: With its art deco-inspired design, Blue Fox The Bar oozes sophistication. Their extensive cocktail menu and attentive service make for an unforgettable evening.
Budapest’s city centre is a treasure trove of diverse and exciting bars. Whether you’re into ruin bars, rooftop views, craft beer, wine, or cocktails, the city has something to suit every taste. Take this guide with you as you explore Budapest’s vibrant bar scene, and be prepared to have a fantastic time!
Table of Contents