Budapest, the vibrant capital of Hungary, is known for its stunning architecture, rich history, and thriving nightlife. With a myriad of bars to choose from, it can be overwhelming for a first-time visitor to decide where to go. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to help you navigate the city’s bar scene and find the perfect spot to enjoy a drink or two.
1. Ruin Bars: Unique and Quirky
If you’re looking for a truly unique experience, head to the famous ruin bars in Budapest. These bars are located in abandoned buildings, courtyards, or warehouses, giving them a distinct and eclectic vibe. Each ruin bar has its own character, but they all offer a laid-back atmosphere, affordable drinks, and a fantastic mix of locals and tourists.
Recommended Ruin Bars:
- Szimpla Kert: One of the oldest and most popular ruin bars, Szimpla Kert boasts a sprawling interior filled with vintage decor, mismatched furniture, and funky artwork. Don’t miss the open-air courtyard and the variety of live music and events.
- Fogasház: Known for its colorful graffiti-covered walls, Fogasház is a creative hub with multiple bars, dance floors, and even a rooftop terrace. Enjoy a diverse range of music, including electronic, reggae, and hip-hop.
- Kuplung: This retro-themed ruin bar features an industrial-chic interior, an outdoor terrace, and regular DJ sets. It’s a great place to mingle with locals and enjoy affordable drinks.
2. Cocktail Bars: Sip on Exquisite Creations
If you’re a fan of expertly crafted cocktails, Budapest won’t disappoint. The city is home to a growing number of cocktail bars, where talented mixologists create unique and delicious concoctions. These bars often have a sophisticated, upscale ambiance and offer a wide selection of spirits and liqueurs.
Must-Visit Cocktail Bars:
- Boutiq’Bar: Located in the heart of Budapest, Boutiq’Bar is a haven for cocktail enthusiasts. With a menu featuring over 500 different cocktails, including classic favorites and innovative creations, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste.
- Blue Fox The Bar: Situated in a historic building near St. Stephen’s Basilica, Blue Fox is known for its elegant interior and exceptional cocktails. Enjoy a range of signature drinks or let the skilled bartenders surprise you with a custom creation.
- High Note SkyBar: Offering breathtaking panoramic views of Budapest, High Note SkyBar is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail while taking in the city’s skyline. This rooftop bar is located on the top floor of the Aria Hotel and offers a luxurious and unforgettable experience.
3. Craft Beer Bars: Quench Your Thirst with Unique Brews
If you’re a beer lover, Budapest’s craft beer scene is sure to impress. The city is home to a growing number of bars and breweries that focus on unique and flavorful craft beers. From hoppy IPAs to rich stouts, you’ll find a wide range of options to satisfy your taste buds.
Noteworthy Craft Beer Bars:
- Jónás Craft Beer House: With over 20 taps showcasing both local and international craft beers, Jónás Craft Beer House is a must-visit for beer enthusiasts. The knowledgeable staff will guide you through their extensive selection and help you discover new favorites.
- Hops Beer Bar: Hops Beer Bar is a cozy and laid-back spot with a rotating selection of craft beers on tap. The bar has a friendly atmosphere and regular events, such as tap takeovers and beer tastings.
- Élesztő: Located in a former factory, Élesztő is a craft beer mecca with an impressive selection of beers from Hungary and beyond. Grab a tasting paddle to sample a variety of brews, and don’t forget to pair them with some delicious pub food.
4. Wine Bars: Indulge in Hungarian Wines
No visit to Budapest is complete without tasting some of Hungary’s renowned wines. The country has a long and proud winemaking tradition, and you’ll find a wide array of wine bars in the city where you can sample local varietals and vintages.
Top Wine Bars to Explore:
- Doblo Wine & Bar: Doblo Wine & Bar offers an extensive wine list with over 100 Hungarian wines to choose from. Whether you’re a wine connoisseur or just starting to explore the world of wine, the knowledgeable staff will help you find the perfect selection.
- DiVino: With multiple locations in Budapest, DiVino is a popular wine bar chain that showcases a wide range of Hungarian wines. Enjoy the cozy and inviting atmosphere while savoring a glass of local red, white, or rosé.
- Bortársaság: Known for its vast selection of Hungarian wines, Bortársaság is a wine lover’s paradise. The bar offers regular wine tastings and events, allowing you to deepen your appreciation for Hungarian wines.
5. Thermal Bath Bars: Relax and Unwind
For a truly unique experience, why not combine your visit to a thermal bath with a refreshing drink? Budapest is famous for its thermal baths, and some of them feature bars where you can enjoy a beverage while soaking in the warm healing waters.
Thermal Baths with Bars:
- Szechenyi Baths: The largest medicinal bath in Europe, Szechenyi Baths, features a bar within its spacious outdoor pool area. Treat yourself to a cold beer or a fruity cocktail as you relax in the warm thermal waters.
- Gellert Baths: Gellert Baths’ Art Nouveau surroundings provide a stunning backdrop for a drink. You can order refreshments from the poolside bar and enjoy them while immersed in the thermal pools.
With this comprehensive guide in hand, you’re now equipped to explore Budapest’s vibrant bar scene. Whether you prefer the unique atmosphere of ruin bars, the sophistication of cocktail bars, the flavors of craft beer bars, the elegance of wine bars, or the relaxation of thermal bath bars, Budapest offers something for everyone. So, raise a glass and cheers to an unforgettable nightlife experience in the enchanting capital city of Hungary!
Table of Contents