When it comes to vibrant nightlife and unique bar scenes, Budapest is a city that stands out. With its
characteristic ruin bars, the city offers an unforgettable experience for visitors and locals alike. If
you’re new to the concept of ruin bars or planning a trip to Budapest, this guide will introduce you to the
best ruin bars in the city and provide you with a helpful map to explore them!
What are Ruin Bars?
Ruin bars are distinct establishments that have emerged in Budapest over the past decades. These bars are
typically set up in abandoned buildings, factories, or courtyards, giving them a unique atmosphere. The
combination of shabby-chic interiors, quirky decorations, and an eclectic mix of musical styles makes ruin bars
a must-visit while in Budapest.
1. Szimpla Kert
Szimpla Kert is one of the most famous ruin bars in Budapest and serves as the perfect starting point for your
adventure. This bar is known for its labyrinthine layout, outdoor garden, and vibrant events. Located in the
Jewish Quarter, Szimpla Kert features different themed nights and live performances, making it a haven for
- Arrive early to beat the crowds and find a good spot.
- Try their unique cocktails and local craft beers.
- Don’t miss the Sunday Farmers’ Market held in the courtyard.
For a diverse party experience, head to Instant, another renowned ruin bar in Budapest. Instant spans across
multiple floors and features various rooms, each with its own vibe and music. From electronic beats to live DJ
sets, Instant offers something for everyone.
- Check their website for upcoming events and theme nights.
- Explore the different floors and rooms for a unique experience.
- Grab a drink at the bar and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere.
Fogasház, also known as ‘The Dentist,’ is a popular ruin bar huddled in the bustling 7th district. With its
surrealistic decorations and an energetic dance floor, Fogasház attracts a mix of locals and tourists looking
for a memorable night out.
- Catch one of their live music performances for an unforgettable experience.
- Try their signature drink, the ‘Toothache,’ for a unique twist.
- Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with friendly locals.
4. Mazel Tov
If you’re looking for a ruin bar with a more laid-back and sophisticated atmosphere, Mazel Tov is the perfect
choice. Located in the heart of the Jewish Quarter, this bar boasts an enchanting courtyard, a beautifully
designed interior, and a menu featuring Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Try their delicious hummus platter and refreshing cocktails.
- Visit during the warmer months to enjoy the outdoor seating area.
- Check their schedule for live music and DJ performances.
Anker’t is a spacious ruin bar situated in an old courtyard. The bar often hosts art exhibitions, concerts, and
DJs, making it a popular spot among Budapest’s creative community. Anker’t also features a food truck park,
satisfying your cravings while you enjoy a night filled with music and laughter.
- Check their Facebook page for upcoming events and exhibitions.
- Explore the food truck park and try different culinary delights.
- Take a moment to appreciate the unique artworks displayed throughout the venue.
Map of the Best Ruin Bars in Budapest
To help you navigate the bustling streets of Budapest, we’ve created a map highlighting the locations of the best
ruin bars in the city. Use this map to plan your route and make the most of your unforgettable night of
exploration and fun!
|Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Budapest
|Akácfa u. 49-51, 1073 Budapest
|Akácfa u. 51, 1073 Budapest
|Akácfa u. 47, 1072 Budapest
|Paulay Ede u. 33, 1061 Budapest
Remember, the charm and popularity of ruin bars in Budapest mean they can get busy, so plan your visit
accordingly. Prepare to immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere, indulge in delicious drinks, and dance the
night away at these unique and extraordinary establishments. Cheers to a memorable night in Budapest!
Table of Contents