Planning a trip to Budapest? Known for its vibrant nightlife, Budapest is a city that truly comes alive after dark. From trendy ruin bars to traditional taverns, there is a bar to suit every taste. If you’re a beginner looking to explore the city’s bar scene, this guide is for you. Read on to discover the best places to grab a drink in Budapest!
1. Ruin Bars
One of Budapest’s biggest attractions is its unique ruin bars. These bars are created in abandoned buildings, courtyards, or vacant lots and are known for their eclectic decor and laid-back atmosphere. They often feature mismatched furniture, street art, and a wide variety of drinks.
Recommended Ruin Bars:
- Szimpla Kert: The pioneer of ruin bars, Szimpla Kert is an iconic spot with multiple bars, rooms, and a bohemian ambiance.
- Fogasház: This ruin bar is popular among locals and tourists alike, offering live music and a spacious outdoor area.
- Instant: Known for its quirky design and vibrant parties, Instant is a must-visit for any nightlife enthusiast.
2. Cocktail Bars
For those who prefer a more sophisticated drinking experience, Budapest is home to a plethora of cocktail bars. These establishments serve expertly crafted cocktails made with premium spirits and fresh ingredients.
Recommended Cocktail Bars:
- Boutiq’Bar: Known for its innovative mixology and extensive menu, Boutiq’Bar is a favorite among cocktail connoisseurs.
- High Note SkyBar: Located on the top floor of the Aria Hotel, this rooftop bar offers panoramic views of the city along with handcrafted cocktails.
- Pálinka Experience: Get a taste of Hungary’s national fruit brandy, pálinka, at this specialty bar. Discover the various flavors and learn about the distillation process.
3. Wine Bars
Budapest’s wine culture is thriving, and there are plenty of cozy wine bars where you can sample the best local and international wines. Whether you’re a wine novice or an enthusiast, these wine bars will cater to your preferences.
Recommended Wine Bars:
- Doblo Wine Bar: Located in the heart of the Jewish Quarter, Doblo offers an extensive selection of Hungarian wines and regular tasting events.
- DiVino: With multiple locations across the city, DiVino is a popular wine bar known for its cozy atmosphere and curated wine list.
- Kadarka Wine Bar: Step into this charming bar to discover Hungarian specialties, including the famous Tokaji Aszú.
4. Beer Gardens
During the warmer months, Budapest’s beer gardens are the perfect place to enjoy a refreshing pint. These outdoor venues offer a relaxed setting where you can sit back, socialize, and sample a wide range of local and international beers.
Recommended Beer Gardens:
- Élesztő Craft Beer Garden: This spacious beer garden features over 20 taps of local craft beer and a cozy indoor area for colder days.
- Kertem: Situated in the city center, Kertem offers a laid-back atmosphere, delicious burgers, and a great selection of local and international beers.
- Larm: Located on Margaret Island, Larm is a popular venue with fantastic views of the Danube River. Enjoy a cold beer and soak in the natural surroundings.
Budapest’s bar scene offers something for everyone, whether you’re into unique ruin bars, upscale cocktail lounges, cozy wine bars, or vibrant beer gardens. Exploring these diverse establishments will not only introduce you to Budapest’s nightlife but also provide a glimpse into the city’s rich culture and heritage. Remember to drink responsibly and enjoy the best of what Budapest has to offer!
Table of Contents